Modern Suburban Firefighting
Overview of Program
Captain Gustin’s Modern suburban firefighting class includes subject matter covering:
- Dispelling myths pervasive in today’s Fire Service.
- Size up: “Know before you go” and the Benefits of a “360” initial size up.
- Apparatus Positioning
- Stretching the initial attack hoseline: Proper Size and Length, Hose management and more.
- Nozzle Selection: Fog vs. solid stream and GPM vs. BTU
- Tactics for modern suburban homes: “Mc Mansions”, attaches garages, basements and fires involving decks and porches.
- Firefighter Safety: Adapting strategies and tactics to reduce risk in modern lightweight construction as well as Avoiding two of the most common mayday situations
- Water supply: Initial attack booster tank or lay supply line? LDH; advantages and disadvantages and Forward, reverse and split hoselays
- Fires in Multiple Family Occupancies: Hoseline operations for apartment buildings, hotels and health care facilities; Fire location and techniques for positioning and operating a hoseline on an upper floor